Happy Blogging!

The need to Focus while administering an injection

Couple of days back,  I went to the pathology with a Tetanus toxoide(TT) injection from the chemist nearby. I saw the pathologist whom I prefer to take give me the there was talking on the phone.I handed over the injection to him and I sat down praying that it gives minimal pain..but I still found him talking on the phone as he was getting prepared chopping off the tip of the injection bottle and putting in the needle of the syringe using both his hands while his phone was still between his ear and and shoulder (often called cradling or wedging - just learnt from Google). I however politely gave him an indication or a signal as it may be, to hang the phone before giving the injection which for me was increasing my anxiety. So he handed over the phone to a nurse standing nearby.

This might seem unprofessional and at the same time extremely unsafe since in the event of more patient and doses chances of getting it wrong is quite possible. 

Firstly, focus may be distracted and 

Secondly, the patient who are nervous in such matters may have increased  in anxiety.

People usually don't tend to speak up but when it comes to health, mind and body one shouldn't withdraw oneself or be hesitant. 



No comments: